Since 2002, LifeLine Animal Project's mission has always been to end the needless euthanasia of adoptable dogs and cats in Atlanta's shelters. LifeLine opened our own shelter, then two spay/neuter clinics, and created many outreach programs to help pets at risk, but even with thousands of pets helped, Atlanta was still struggling with incredibly low save-rates in its county shelters.
"Why," we asked ourselves, "if it has worked in other large cities, has Atlanta not done a better job of lowering euthanasia?"
After a long hard look at our community, we felt that the real answer was no one was leading the charge. No one had stepped up to do the hard work to overhaul our public shelters and get the community behind the effort. So in 2013, we pursued and were awarded contracts to manage DeKalb and Fulton County Animal Services.
Over the last three years, LifeLine has successfully raised the lifesaving rates at both shelters. In November 2015, we attained no-kill levels at our Fulton County Animal Services shelter and in 2016 hit a no-kill milestone at DeKalb as well.
Adoption promotions, rescue partnerships, surrender counseling, revamped foster programs, and so much more have gotten us here. Getting to no-kill and staying there will take us all.
Click here to take the pledge to help save the lives of homeless pets and say "I'm In!" Spread the word that you are in to help make a Atlanta no-kill community in 2016.
Ways to Participate
Take Action and Spread the Word
Are you in? There are many ways to join us and show that, as a proud, animal-loving Atlantan, you are inspired by this vision. See how others who have taken the pledge are making a difference. Through fostering, volunteering, donating, or adopting homeless pets, supporters like you show your commitment. Spreading the word about the importance of spaying and neutering, vaccinating, licensing, and microchipping pets is also a critical part of making Atlanta a lifesaving community for homeless pets.
Engage in social media by:
- Changing your social media profile picture to the “I’m In” logo. Right-click and Save Link As our "I'm In" logo here.
- Tag your status about how you've helped support us with #In4LifeLine.
- Snap a picture that demonstrates how you are “In” and tagging #In4LifeLine on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
- Sharing, forwarding and retweeting LifeLine’s social media posts on your page.
- Becoming a member of LifeLine’s volunteer social media ambassador team, and commit to post and share about homeless animals in LifeLine’s care each week.
Volunteer at our shelters:
- See the many different ways you can give your time to help homeless animals.
- Sign up to be a volunteer.
Adopt a homeless animal from one of our shelters. Check out available pets at:
Foster a dog or cat from LifeLine:
Spay or neuter, microchip, and vaccinate your pet:
- Low-cost, high-quality spay/neuter is available at our clinics.
- Come to our twice monthly Pet Wellness Days low-cost clinic events.
Make a donation in support of our work:
- Your tax-deductible gifts help our lifesaving mission.
- Take a look at our wish list of supplies for the animals in our care.
- Check out other ways you can raise money for LifeLine at no extra cost to you.
- Purchase (and proudly wear) an "I'm In" t-shirt.
Advocate for LifeLine and your love for animals:
- Tell your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers about us.
- Stop by one of our shelters and donate to receivet an "I'm In" car magnet.
- Share the "I'm In" pledge page with your own networks.